Sunday, September 27, 2009

To buy or say "bye"


Mademoiselle Chanel was a lady that was basically born into poverty, having been raised in an orphanage by nuns. I still have yet to watch "Coco Avant Chanel," but since the airing of the Lifetime film based on her life story, I have become intrigued by this woman. I always admire those who take the road less traveled in order to achieve their passions and dreams in life. Coco Chanel has simplified the fashion lives of women. She has played such a huge role in fashion history such as inventing "the little black dress," women's tweed dress suits, menswear and comfortable clothing (goodbye, corsets!) that were contrary to the glitz and glamour of the time period she resided in.

That being said, it has become my obsession to attain one of her classic 2.55 bags for some time now (haven't had any luck at the thrift shops). The name "2.55" represents the month and year (February 1955) the bag was created and it has significant meaning behind it. The inner "secret" flap was used to store her love letters. The back pocket was meant for storing money and lipstick for the inner pockets. The red leather lining of the black bags were inspired by her school uniform as a child. The chain straps were created in order to keep women's arms/hands hassle-free during that time period. And finally, the quilting was inspired by the jockey's riding coats she often saw and seat cushions from her apartment in Paris.


Recently, I've even contemplated whether it would be worth it to STOP shopping for a year to purchase something from the boutique. Yes, I'm that crazy. I looked up the recent prices for the tiniest 2.55 bag and felt defeated as I realized I would need to halt my shopping habits for TWO YEARS. I think that is a bit ridiculous. Perhaps I could afford a used one instead...

Though I cannot help but think:
If Chanel had wanted to simplify the lives of women by steering away from the extravagant, why has her label become only attainable to the wealthy, or those willing to succumb to its pricetag? If she were still alive today, would she be content with the direction her company is headed towards?



Bag or no bag, I've decided to stop purchasing clothing/accessories for the entire month of October and more. I intend on doing this for as long as I can contain myself (gasp). I figured it would be a refreshing way to begin some self-control for things I really don't need. And maybe I'll be able to save for something worth treasuring.









Looks like there will be much window-shopping and creative repeat items to come!






Credits: Purse Forum 

6 comments:

  1. chanel is my favorite bag store! sadly....only window shopping for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the meaning and thought behind the details of the Chanel bag. Thank you for sharing.

    Also, I am impressed and agree with your reflections--"Though I cannot help but think:
    If Chanel had wanted to simplify the lives of women by steering away from the extravagant, why has her label become only attainable to the wealthy, or those willing to succumb to its pricetag? If she were still alive today, would she be content with the direction her company is headed towards?"

    You've inspired me to go on a clothes-shopping spending freeze as well! I feel like I've been needing to (or, I should) and keep putting it off (lack of self-control :/), but I want to be more creative with putting together outfits that are in my closet. Hopefully this will motivate me to do so...

    anyway, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Davina! I will stop shopping for a month to see if I can hang too... maybe I'll save up for my Christian Louboutin's instead. ;)

    Just get the bag already, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. opposite circumstances - in asia i'm STARTING to shop because i actually like the stuff here :) in the states the clothes are... ehhh :P and too expensive.
    so i hunt for cute cheap things and try to stock up before i go back to the US and have to use ebay to find the clothes i like.

    i would get the marc jacobs. i would never be able to spend THAT much more money for the name brand - even if it comes with a significant story. the look is similar enough. i guess to me the value is not worth the cost. but i know thats a personal perspective that varies widely among women, so i support you whatever you do! n_n

    ReplyDelete
  6. i saw this bag at the fake market today. :P its red inside though

    ReplyDelete